|Time Series||Mosaic Groups||Number Of Postcodes||Total Number Of Postcodes||Proportion of Postcodes|
|2009||B Residents of small and mid-sized towns with strong local roots||165.00||6,644.00||2.5|
|2009||C Wealthy people living in the most sought after neighbourhoods||7.00||6,644.00||0.1|
|2009||D Successful professionals living in suburban or semi-rural homes||90.00||6,644.00||1.4|
|2009||E Middle income families living in moderate suburban semis||599.00||6,644.00||9.0|
|2009||F Couples with young children in comfortable modern housing||83.00||6,644.00||1.2|
|2009||G Young, well-educated city dwellers||50.00||6,644.00||0.8|
|2009||H Couples and young singles in small modern starter homes||308.00||6,644.00||4.6|
|2009||I Lower income workers in urban terraces in often diverse areas||815.00||6,644.00||12.3|
|2009||J Owner occupiers in older-style housing in ex-industrial areas||639.00||6,644.00||9.6|
|2009||K Residents with sufficient incomes in right-to-buy social housing||1,432.00||6,644.00||21.6|
|2009||L Active elderly people living in pleasant retirement locations||64.00||6,644.00||1.0|
|2009||M Elderly people reliant on state support||532.00||6,644.00||8.0|
|2009||N Young people renting flats in high density social housing||455.00||6,644.00||6.8|
|2009||O Families in low-rise social housing with high levels of benefit need||596.00||6,644.00||9.0|
Proportion of Postcodes
|Description||Mosaic Public Sector is Experian's classification of each UK citizen's location, their demographics, lifestyles and behaviours. It uses more than 440 data elements from a wide range of sources and classifies all UK citizens into 15 groups and 69 more detailed types. Despite being a modelled dataset, MOSIAC can enable a greater level of insight particularly when used to analyse other datasets. you can open a normal query view for MOSAIC, which will enable you to look at how individual groups are distributed by the other key geographies within Sandwell, e.g. wards and towns.|
|Methodology||Mosaic Public Sector is built using a four stage approach. 1) Analysis of latest societal trends. 2) Collection and development of data sources. 3) Proprietary approach to cluster analysis. 4) Analysis of market research and public sector data to assist in the interpretation and validation of the segmentation. 62% of the data comes from Experian's Consumer Dynamics database which includes the Electoral Role, credit and car ownership reports and council tax bands. The other 38% of data comes from Experian's current year estimates from the 2001 Census. See Topic Page on Customer Profiling for further information.|
|Smallest Geographical Unit||LSOA|
|Largest Geographical Unit||Local Authority|
|Data Source Owner||Experian|
|Headline Summary||Mosaic provides detailed descriptive information on typical demographic, lifestyle and behavioural characteristics of customers. This is done by grouping households with similar characteristics together. In Sandwell, the dominant groups are as follows:
* K Residents with sufficient incomes in right-to-buy social housing (21.6% of Sandwell postcodes fall within this group).
* I Lower income workers in urban terraces in often diverse areas (12.3% of postcodes).
* J Owner occupiers in older-style housing in ex-industrial areas (9.6% of postcodes).
* E Middle income families living in moderate suburban semis (9% of postcodes).
* O Families in low-rise social housing with high levels of benefit need (9% of postcodes).